CAG book semi-final berth in senior men`s hockey
Lucknow: Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) defeated last year runners-up Punjab 3-1 to enter the semifinals of the 4th Hockey India Senior Men National Championship at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium on Wednesday.
Punjab drew first blood in the Pool B contest when Parvinder Singh scored a field goal in the 32nd minute. CAG, who struggled in the first half, showed remarkable composure to make a comeback in the second period.
CAG levelled the score in the 42nd minute when they converted a penalty corner through Darshan D S. Darshan gave his side the lead in the 63rd minute through another penalty-corner strike.
Sarvjeet Singh (69th) scored in the dying moments to register their fourth win in a row.
Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy overcame Manipur 3-2 in their Pool A match.
MPHA came back strongly in the second half to take away the match from Manipur who were leading by 2-0.
Manipur had a comfortable lead with Laiba Singh and Heera Singh scoring in the 21st and 29th minutes respectively.
In the second-half, however, Vikas Chaudhary (38th, 41st and 51st minute) scored a hat-trick to turn the game in MPHA`s favour.
Earlier, Air India Sports Promotion Board routed Association of Indian Universities by 7-2 in Pool A.
Results of the day:
Pool B ? Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy 3 Vikas Chaudhary (38, 41 and 51 min) Vs. Manipur 2 Laiba Singh (21 min) and Heera Singh K (29 min)
Comptroller & Auditor General 3 Darshan D S (42, 63), Sarvjeet Singh (69 min) vs Punjab 1 Parvinder Singh (32 min)
Pool A ? Air India Sports Promotion Board 7 Shivener Singh (11, 29 and 45 min), Birender Lakra (24 min), Sameer Dad (26 Min), Gaganpreet Singh (33 min), Girish Pimpale (43 min) Vs Association of Indian Universities 2 Gurjinder Singh (4 min) and Gagandeep Singh (8 min).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends