Canadian PM to skip Sochi Olympics
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not go to Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics, The Globe and Mail newspaper reported.
The report quoted Jason MacDonald, spokesman for the Prime Minister`s Office, as saying that Harper won`t go to Sochi but not because of gay rights or Russian homophobia.
"He normally does not attend, Vancouver was an exception," said MacDonald, who declined to say whether the prime minister plans to send a political message by not going personally.
Canada`s Governor-General David Johnston attended the London Olympics but his office said a Sochi trip will be decided by Prime Minister Harper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon