Canadian PM to skip Sochi Olympics
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not go to Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics, The Globe and Mail newspaper reported.
The report quoted Jason MacDonald, spokesman for the Prime Minister`s Office, as saying that Harper won`t go to Sochi but not because of gay rights or Russian homophobia.
"He normally does not attend, Vancouver was an exception," said MacDonald, who declined to say whether the prime minister plans to send a political message by not going personally.
Canada`s Governor-General David Johnston attended the London Olympics but his office said a Sochi trip will be decided by Prime Minister Harper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sensitive issues could damage ties with US military: China
- Graft case: Court seeks CBI's reply on accused' bail plea
- German minister rejects blanket suspicion of refugees after attacks
- Don't derail ties with India with controversial statements on Kashmir, Pak daily urges Islamabad
- Congress member wants PM's response to Hafiz's war rants, chinese interference