Canadian PM to skip Sochi Olympics
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not go to Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics, The Globe and Mail newspaper reported.
The report quoted Jason MacDonald, spokesman for the Prime Minister`s Office, as saying that Harper won`t go to Sochi but not because of gay rights or Russian homophobia.
"He normally does not attend, Vancouver was an exception," said MacDonald, who declined to say whether the prime minister plans to send a political message by not going personally.
Canada`s Governor-General David Johnston attended the London Olympics but his office said a Sochi trip will be decided by Prime Minister Harper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!