Canadian PM to skip Sochi Olympics
Ottawa: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper will not go to Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics, The Globe and Mail newspaper reported.
The report quoted Jason MacDonald, spokesman for the Prime Minister`s Office, as saying that Harper won`t go to Sochi but not because of gay rights or Russian homophobia.
"He normally does not attend, Vancouver was an exception," said MacDonald, who declined to say whether the prime minister plans to send a political message by not going personally.
Canada`s Governor-General David Johnston attended the London Olympics but his office said a Sochi trip will be decided by Prime Minister Harper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Government may advance Parliament session to get GST laws approved
- Terrorist Burhan Wani's father stayed at Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living ashram for 2 days? Here is why
- Disappointed KL Rahul keeping spirits high despite unfortunate loss in first T20I
- Huge controversy breaks out as Mangaluru college bans hijab, beard; protests on
- The journey has just begun! Sachin Tendulkar lauds Rio winners, predicts greater acheivements