Canadians Rob and Ken in no mood to quit
New Delhi: Veteran players Ken Pereira and Rob Short today led Canada to a bronze medal after defeating Poland 4-3 at the London Olympics qualification tournament here and the duo said they are in no mood to hang up their boots.
At 38 and 39 years of age, Ken and Rob are Canada`s most capped players with 348 and 346 matches under their belt and the duo said it was an emotional moment for them to play in India.
"I don`t want it to be my last trip to India. I want to continue playing for Canada. The federation might want to give a different direction to the team and it is upto them but me and Rob will keep playing. It is just too much fun to give up hockey," said Ken, who scored two goals for his team on Sunday.
Ken and Rob started their career with the national team in 1994 and have been friends and teammates ever since and they feel there is still a lot in them to contribute to their country.
"I really don`t know what would happen but we can still play, we can still keep up with the younger guys. I know the federation perhaps wants to go with the youngsters considering the future of Canadian hockey and so it is a very emotional moment for us," Rob said.
"In the last 22 years of my career, I have never cried so much listening to the national game, I love the game and if I can`t be back as a player, I hope to be back to India as a coach of the national team," he signs off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'