Cavendish credits team mate for Tour de Spain stage win
Madrid: Mark Cavendish credited Slovakian team mate Peter Velits for his third victory in the Tour of Spain after the Briton won the 18th stage from Valladolid.
Wearing the green jersey of the points competition leader, Cavendish crossed the finish line in Salamanca a length ahead of Argentine Juan Jose Haedo and Portugal`s Manuel Cardoso.
But despite his clear victory, the HTC-Columbia rider said he had experienced a fraught moment with three kilometres to go, which only Velits`s quick response had resolved.
"There was a moment when I suddenly lost 50 or 60 places and I panicked," Cavendish told reporters.
"I shouted across to Peter and he did a massive turn of about a kilometre or so, guiding me up the side of the bunch back to where I needed to be.”
"He`s fighting for the overall victory but he was still prepared to use up a lot of energy for me. That shows real commitment to the team and it takes a very special person to do that. I can`t thank him enough."
On a quiet day for the overall favourites, Italian Vincenzo Nibali remains in the lead ahead of Spain`s Ezequiel Mosquera, with Velits third.
Cavendish said the slightly uphill finish in the heart of Salamanca`s city centre had been made tougher because he did not know which gear to use.
"I changed gear about five times in 500 metres because I was working out whether to do it all on power or on pure speed," he said.
"I had to power after (Australian team mate) Matt Goss and finally with 180 metres to go, I went for it.”
"If I had the strength to get this win, it was all thanks to the work the team did."
Cavendish said after the Tour of Spain and the world championships in Melbourne on Oct. 3, he would ride the Commonwealth Games road race a week later in Delhi as his last race of the season.
"There will be a great group of guys riding for the Isle of Man and it`s not often I get to ride wearing that jersey. I`m looking forward to that," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22