Cavendish wins Tour of Turkey second stage
Istanbul: Britain`s former world champion Mark Cavendish sprinted to his second straight Tour of Turkey stage victory on Tuesday as he also retained the leader`s blue jersey.
The Isle of Man native, who has won 25 stages on the Tour de France, the third all-time highest tally, won a bunch sprint at the end of a 175km run from Alaynya to Kmer, with a trademark burst to the line.
Riding for Omega-Pharma, he also won the opening 141km stage around Alanya.
Italy`s Francesco Chicchi (Neri) and his compatriot Niccolo Bonifazio (Lampre) were second and third respectively.
Cavendish completed the stage in 3hrs 50:17 as he keeps the early overall lead on the eight stage race that finishes in Istanbul on Sunday May 4.
The third stage, set for Tuesday is a 185km race from Finike to Elmali and is set to shake up the overall standings, with several climbs including a category one summit finish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state