CBI seizes documents from CWG OC office
New Delhi: CBI officials on Monday visited the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee office here and questioned some officials as part of its probe into corruption charges in the conduct of mega sporting event.
CBI sources said the officials have seized certain documents related to Queen’s Baton Relay held in London and other contracts carried out with various firms.
They said the CBI sleuths have sought clarification on the grant of contracts by the OC and alleged misappropriation of funds.
The move assumes significance amid reports of some crucial Games-related files going missing from the Committee office.
However, when contacted a CBI official termed the visit as routine.
CBI sources said that key documents which could throw light on Commonwealth Games deals have gone missing and feared that they could have been destroyed or hidden.
They said the files contain information on tendering, budgetary allocation and contract details among others.
The agency has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one case is related to a Rs 107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score keeping firm, the CBI had registered two other FIRs in connection with the contract given to AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London.
CBI has asked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi to appear before it for interrogation. Kalmadi’s three key aides -- Manoj Bhori, political advisor, P K Srivastava and A K Sinha, both assistants to the OC head -- have already been questioned by the CBI.
CBI had earlier conducted raids at the residences of Kalmadi, Bhanot, Sacheti, who is Joint Director General of the OC, and Sangeeta Welingkar, member of the Games Image and Look Group.
In a related move, CBI has decided to approach the Sports Ministry to seek discontinuance of Kalmadi and Bhanot from their posts saying it was facing non-cooperation from certain junior OC officials. The officials claimed it was hampering the probe.