CCI to host Squash Challenger from May 6
Mumbai: International squash is set to return to the Cricket Club of India (CCI) after 18 years when it hosts the USD 15,000 PSA Challenger event at its glass-backed courts here from May 6 to 11.
Harinder Pal Sandhu, with a World Professional Squash Association ranking of 69, and local player Mahesh Mangaonkar, PSA-ranked 106, are the top Indian direct entrants in the 16-strong main draw of the tournament along with wild card Ravi Dixit, it was announced at a media conference here on Friday.
There would be two qualifying rounds (on May 6 and 7) and four main draw rounds. Current world number 31 Alan Clyne of Scotland is the highest ranked competitor and top seed.
Three Egyptians, including Mohd Ali Anwar Reda - who is the second highest in the draw with a world rank of 41 - three Malaysians, two Scots, one Jordanian and three Indians have got direct entry into the main draw.
Eight Indians - Kush Kumar, Rishad Pandole, Madhav Dhingra, Arjun Agnihotri, Abhinav Sinha, Abhishek Pradhan, Gaurav Nandrajog and Abhimanyu Shah - would take part in the qualifiers (May 5-7) vying to grab four spots in the 16-man main draw.
The winner of the tournament would take home 19 per cent of the total prize money (just under USD 3,000).
Rolling Nicks Squash Academy from Pune are the promoters of the tournament which former international Ritwik Bhattacharya said is going to be an annual fixture.
"Organising the squash challengers at home will help our players earn valuable points and improve their ranking. Both Sandhu and Mahesh have a good chance to win the tournament. The winner will get 250 points," said Ritwik at the media conference.
CCI Squash Secretary Naval Pandole said it was in 1995 -96 that the club had conducted a major squash event at a specially erected glass dome on the Brabourne Stadium turf.
"Since squash has good chances of becoming an Olympic sport in 2020, such tournaments would help build up interest," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note