Celebrities to run for a cause in Kolkata Half Marathon
Kolkata: More than 20,000 participants from India and abroad, including celebrities, will go the distance in the Kolkata Half Marathon Feb 3 to educate the under-privileged girl child.
The 21-km stretch will witness celebrities like Nigel Akkara and Rahul Bose lead the way in the third edition of the Kolkata Half Marathon - The Royal Bengal Run.
Kicking off from the Mohammedan Sporting Club at 6 a.m. with enthusiasts from all walks of life, the half marathon aims to generate awareness and collect funds for supporting the under-privileged girl child.
"The money collected will go for the education of under-privileged girl children. In a situation where there is a lot of injustice, education is very important," said Akkara, a hardened criminal turned actor from Bengal.
According to Akkara, running for such a cause is worthwhile as 53 percent of girl children in the age group of 5 to 9 years are illiterate.
"This is my contribution to society. I am not participating to compete and win an award. Being the part of change that is happening is important," said the actor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video