Celebrities to run for a cause in Kolkata Half Marathon
Kolkata: More than 20,000 participants from India and abroad, including celebrities, will go the distance in the Kolkata Half Marathon Feb 3 to educate the under-privileged girl child.
The 21-km stretch will witness celebrities like Nigel Akkara and Rahul Bose lead the way in the third edition of the Kolkata Half Marathon - The Royal Bengal Run.
Kicking off from the Mohammedan Sporting Club at 6 a.m. with enthusiasts from all walks of life, the half marathon aims to generate awareness and collect funds for supporting the under-privileged girl child.
"The money collected will go for the education of under-privileged girl children. In a situation where there is a lot of injustice, education is very important," said Akkara, a hardened criminal turned actor from Bengal.
According to Akkara, running for such a cause is worthwhile as 53 percent of girl children in the age group of 5 to 9 years are illiterate.
"This is my contribution to society. I am not participating to compete and win an award. Being the part of change that is happening is important," said the actor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- DNA: Today in History | May 25, 2016
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's
- WhatsApp leads messaging apps globally
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Andy Murray survives fresh five-set Paris battle
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme