Celebrities to run for a cause in Kolkata Half Marathon
Kolkata: More than 20,000 participants from India and abroad, including celebrities, will go the distance in the Kolkata Half Marathon Feb 3 to educate the under-privileged girl child.
The 21-km stretch will witness celebrities like Nigel Akkara and Rahul Bose lead the way in the third edition of the Kolkata Half Marathon - The Royal Bengal Run.
Kicking off from the Mohammedan Sporting Club at 6 a.m. with enthusiasts from all walks of life, the half marathon aims to generate awareness and collect funds for supporting the under-privileged girl child.
"The money collected will go for the education of under-privileged girl children. In a situation where there is a lot of injustice, education is very important," said Akkara, a hardened criminal turned actor from Bengal.
According to Akkara, running for such a cause is worthwhile as 53 percent of girl children in the age group of 5 to 9 years are illiterate.
"This is my contribution to society. I am not participating to compete and win an award. Being the part of change that is happening is important," said the actor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP