Center to setup 30 centres of excellence: Sports Minister
Balata: Sports minister Jitendra Singh said the government has decided to formulate a new sports policy and identify new talents from rural areas and train them, in order to promote sports in the country.
Singh said we are lagging behind in the field of sports which is unfortunate for a country which has the second largest population in the world.
He had come to inspect the National Integration Camp which is being conducted by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan, here.
The Sports Ministry would setup 30 Centres of Excellence in which the sportspersons would be imparted high standard training so that they could prepare for Olympics and other international level competition.
He said that the union government has already given its nod to setup an National Institute of Sports Coaching at NIS Patiala with a budget of Rs 250 crore.
The government has also decided to setup an institute at New Delhi where expert-advice would be given to athletes on what diet to take during training, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Black money window: CBDT issues fresh FAQs; PAN mandatory
- France opens manslaughter inquiry into EgyptAir crash
- BGR-34 - Ayurvedic anti-diabetic drug launched by CSIR!
- After Dalai Lama met Lady Gaga, China warns of his motives
- Ishrat Jahan encounter case: GK Pillai knew of changes in affidavit, says inquiry panel