Centre to launch national level sports programme: Maken
Rohtak: Sports Minister Ajay Maken today announced that the Central Government would soon launch a national level sports programme known as National Physical Fitness Programme (NPFP).
The programme would be launched on the pattern of Haryana`s Sports and Physical Aptitude Test (SPAT), which was started in the state two years back to hunt budding talents.
The programme has been approved by the Planning Commission in 12th Five Year Plan and it would formally be launched shortly, Maken said in a function after inaugurating a Sports Training Centre of Sports Authority of India here.
Maken and Haryana Chief Minister, Bhupinder Singh Hooda also laid foundation stone of a sports hostel, which has a capacity of 100 inmates and a multipurpose hall at the centre.
Lauding Haryana Government`s Sports Policy, Maken said that the state has provided the best promotion to sports in the country.
"If all other states also follow Haryana`s model in sports, India can easily rank among top five countries in Olympics. Haryana contributed four of the six medals won by the country in last Olympics," he Maken.
The Minister said that one-and-a-half years back he had taken a policy decision that no new SAI sports centre would be opened, but Rohtak MP Deepender Singh Hooda called on him with a request to open a centre in Haryana and he continued to follow up, and that made him sanction it while giving relaxation to the existing policy.
He announced that the SAI centre at Meham would be developed as the top SAI centre in the country.
Hooda thanked Maken for sanctioning Sports Training Centre of SAI for Meham here on request of Deepender, who was also present in today`s function, deviating from the policy of not opening any more centres.
The Chief Minister said that Haryana Government was contemplating to implement the Right to Play Act on the pattern of Right to Education Act, as implemented by the UPA government in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands