Chambers preparing for London Games despite ban
London: British sprinter Dwain Chambers is preparing for London 2012 despite a lifetime Olympics ban for doping.
Chambers won the 60 metres at Sunday`s British trials for next month`s world indoor championships in Istanbul and said afterwards that he was training hard for London in the hope that his ban would be overturned.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) meets on March 12 to determine the legality of the British Olympic Association`s eligibility rule which bars athletes such as Chambers from competing at the Games after serving drug suspensions.
"I have to prepare and if the door opens then at least I am prepared and can compete to the best of my ability," the 33-year-old former European champion told reporters at the Sheffield event.
"That is in my mind but it`s out of my hands. If it does not happen, then there are the European championships in Helsinki (in June)".
Chambers was given his lifetime Olympic ban, and a two-year ban from athletics, in 2003 after he was found to have used the banned anabolic steroid tetrahydrogestrinone, or THG.
He made a comeback to the sport and won 60m gold at the European and world indoor championships in 2009 and 2010 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble