Champions Trophy: India move to top of group with 4-2 win over New Zealand
Melbourne: India recovered from conceding an early self-goal to prevail 4-2 over New Zealand and move to the top of Pool A in the Champions Trophy hockey tournament here on Sunday.
The victory gave India six points from two matches and also made them the only unbeaten team in their pool following England`s surprise 4-1 win over Olympic champions Germany earlier in the day.
Goals from Akashdeep Singh (10th min), Gurwinder Singh Chandi (14th), V R Raghunath (25th) and Danish Mujtaba (65th) gave India their second win in successive days.
On Saturday India had defeated England 3-1 in their opening game.
New Zealand took the initial lead in the third minute when India conceded a self-goal, which has been introduced into world level hockey after the Olympic Games.
The second goal for New Zealand was scored in the 37th minute by Nicholas Wilson.
India will next take on Germany on Tuesday after a rest day on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband