Champions Trophy: India vs Australia – Preview
Melbourne: India face a huge task as they lock horns against 12-time champions Australia in the semifinals of the 34th edition of the FIH Champions Trophy hockey here Saturday.
India will be vying for their first final appearance in the tournament`s history while reigning World Champions Australia will look to enter their sixth consecutive Champions Trophy final, having won the tournament the last four times in a row (2008-2011).
The eight-time Olympic champions, however, have their hands full with a number of injuries in the squad.
Captain Sardar Singh and midfielder Manpreet Singh have carried on playing despite not being fully fit, which will play to the advantage of World No.2 Australia.
Right-wing striker S.V. Sunil took a chance by playing for a few minutes in the quarterfinals against Belgium but managed only a limited role due to a hamstring problem.
The Kookaburras earlier finished second in their group behind Netherlands and had little trouble in moving past World No.4 England 2-0 in the quarterfinals.
India, ranked 11th in the world, on the other hand had a narrow 1-0 victory against World No.8 Belgium in their last eight encounter.
A win for India will guarantee them their first medal since 1982 when they won the bronze in Amstelveen.
In the other semifinal, World No.9 Pakistan will take on London Olympic silver medallists Netherlands.
Pakistan will be looking for their first medal since 2004, when they won the bronze in Lahore while Netherlands will be gunning for the their third consecutive Champions Trophy medal after winning the bronze the last two times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27