Chandigarh beat Mumbai 4-3, assure semifinal berth in WSH
Chandigarh: A last-minute goal by Robert Green helped local favourites Chandigarh Comets beat struggling Mumbai Marines 4-3 and assure themselves a semifinal berth in the World Series Hockey here on Wednesday.
Locked at 3-3 and with barely couple of minutes remaining for the final hooter, Comets led by Pakistani international Rehan Butt earned their sixth penalty corner.
However, failing to convert it, luck still smiled on the Comets as the ball had not been cleared by the Marines defenders and Green made good use of the opportunity that came his way to seal the issue in his team`s favour.
With Comets clearly dominating the initial proceedings, the match later saw the fortunes fluctuate and Marines coming from behind to put up a spirited fight.
High on confidence, Comets took an early lead with Ramandeep Singh scoring in the 7th minute. Few minutes later, Gurjinder Singh made the scoreline read 2-0 by converting a penalty corner.
In the second quarter, Amir Khan put his team on the top as his reverse hit beat the Mumbai goalkeeper.
Pushed to the wall, Marines` Banmali Xess scored the first goal for his team a few seconds from the half-time.
Australia`s Troy Sutherland narrowed the lead in the 15th minute of the third quarter. Marines resorted to some aggressive hockey to build pressure on the home favoourites.
The visitors earned their fourth penalty corner in the opening minutes of the last quarter after having failed to convert earlier chances, but Sutherland squandered the opportunity.
Ajmer Singh scored the equaliser for Marines through a penalty corner.
With this win, Comets now have 25 points, the same as Sher-E-Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre