Chaos rules roost in badminton event
New Delhi: Chaos ruled the roost on the opening day of the India Open Super Series Badminton at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here as those who made it to the venue were greeted by the absence of basic facilities.
Confusion regarding the parking facilities with no car stickers available kept the spectators away from the venue.
A tournament official said that the police are not allowing the vehicles inside the premises of the complex under the pretext of security threat post Boston and Bangalore blasts.
"We are trying to work it out with the Delhi Police. They didn`t even let cars with appropriate stickers to enter the venue. The ones they did, belonging to organising committee members, were also towed away by the afternoon," the official said.
"Last year parking was no hassle but this time it surely is a problem. I hope we have better arrangement by on Wednesday," he added.
In fact, the official said that the police had suggested everyone to park their cars at the Ansal Plaza, which is almost 2 kms from the complex.
Even the scribes had to face problems, with no electrical points or wi-fi available in the media centre. Even the volunteers looked at bay when asked.
While repeated requests to provide power points yielded results finally, in no time it was shut off, forcing the journalists out of the venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened