Chautala set to become president, IOA officials
New Delhi: Abhay Singh Chautala is set to become the new president of the Indian Olympic Association while many of his key associates will also be elected unopposed in the IOA elections to be held on December 5.
Chautala`s election as president had become clear last Sunday when his rival Randhir Singh withdrew his nomination for the post but it is now official after withdrawal of nominations ended at 5 pm today.
The three-member IOA Election Commission, headed by Justice (retd) Anil Dev Singh, was expected to make a formal announcement and put up the final list of candidates by tomorrow.
With most of the candidates owing allegiance to Randhir Singh withdrawing from the fray, many of the candidates belonging to the Chautala camp will be elected unopposed.
Virendra Nanavati of the Swimming Federation of India will become a senior Vice-President with no other candidate in the fray while the decks are cleared for Lalit Bhanot to take over as Secretary General. Anil Khanna of All India Tennis Association will have no contest for the treasurer`s post.
Meanwhile, IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra had a series of meeting with senior officials in the wake of the International Olympic Committee`s latest threat to suspend India if the IOA followed the Government`s Sports Code for the December 5 polls.
Malhotra has to clarify the IOA`s position by tomorrow or face suspension by the world body.
IOA sources said that a two-member IOA delegation is likely to meet Sports Minister Jitendra Singh tomorrow to find a solution to the issue which has put a question mark on the election.
The IOA delegation comprising Narinder Batra and eminent lawyer R K Anand will meet the Sports Minister and other senior officials. They are expected to go to Lausanne to have a meeting with top IOC officials on Saturday or Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?