Chavez dethrones Zbik for middleweight title
Los Angeles: Mexico`s Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. dethroned Germany`s Sebastian Zbik by majority decision to seize the World Boxing Council middleweight title in a showdown of unbeaten fighters.
Chavez Jr. improved to 43-0 with one drawn on judges scores of 115-113 and 116-112 while the third judge scored the bout a 114-114 draw.
Chavez secured his first world title in the same city where his father, a three-division world champion set to be inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame next week, captured his first world title back in 1984.
"I will have to fight a long time and win many more titles to be the equal of my father," Chavez Jr. said.
"I would like to win more titles and create an excellent career, but there are no shortcuts or easy roads to victory."
Zbik, in his first pro fight outside Europe, fell to 30-1. He had not fought since last July, when he took a unanimous decision over Argentina`s Jorge Sebastian Heiland at Hamburg.
Chavez plans to make the first defense of his crown against Argentine southpaw Sergio Gabriel Martinez, 47-2-2, in October at Las Vegas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!