Chawla pots snooker title
Chennai: Kamal Chawla, the 32-year old from Bhopal and India No.2, saw off a late challenge from Kolkata`s Sourav Kothari to win 6-4 in the final of the Kences Constructions-ASCA International snooker tournament here Saturday.
Chawla had to fight hard for the Rs.2 lakh winner`s cheque as the 28-year old Kothari fought back from 0-3 and 1-5 to 4-5 before the Bhopal cueist scrambled home in the 10th frame.
At the start, it was Chawla who seized the upper hand as he raced away with the early frames aided by small but useful breaks and looked poised to complete a sweeping victory.
However, Kothari put in a determined show and with astute potting, clawed back into the match with a couple of half-century breaks while Chawla seemed to wilt under pressure.
Even in the 10th frame, Kothari had his chances, but a couple of errors cost him dear and Chawla needing no second invitation, closed the match. Kothari picked up the runner-up cheque of Rs One lakh.
The results (final): Kamal Chawla bt Sourav Kothari 6-4 (82=46, 100-9, 65-64, 9-90, 95-16, 97-0, 3-70, 24-67, 17-53, 65-54).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened