Chess: Russia outwit India to take lead
Chennai: Top seeds Russia came up with a determined show as they downed India `A` in the seventh round of the TATA 14th IBCA Chess Olympiad for the Blind 2012 here Friday to lead the table with 12 match points.
Ukraine, with 11 match points, inched to second spot defeating tournament leaders Spain narrowly. With its second successive defeat, Spain slid to third position along with Germany at 10 match points. India `A` and Venezuela remained a further point adrift at 9.
In the top table, Darpan Inani helped India `A` get off the mark with a quick draw in the third board against Russian Sergei Smirnov.
Makwana, the hero of Thursday`s win over Spain, found himself in a minus position in a minor piece ending after three hours of play.
International Master Krylov Sergey rolled his king-side pawns to clinch the issue in favour of Russia.
In the top board, Swapnil Shah was a pawn down in opposite coloured bishop ending. Russian International Master Meshkov Yuri converted the end with skill and gave Russia the crucial point that took them to the top of the table.
In the third table, Germany overcame Britain 2.5 - 1.5, taking the last board through Pohlers Juergen`s efforts. Earlier, the first three boards ended in hard fought draws.
India `B` went down to Bulgaria as Darshan Patel suffered an early loss to Todorov Alexander. Further losses by Atul Kakade and Shirish Patel sealed the match in favour of Bulgaria.
The results (Round 7): India `A` (9) lost to Russia (12), Spain (10) lost to Ukraine (11), Britain (8) lost to Germany (10), Serbia (9) drew Slovenia (8), Sweden (7) lost to Venezuela (9), Poland (8) bt Columbia (6), Croatia (6) lost to Kazakhastan (8), Romania (6) drew Iran (6), India `B` (5) lost to Bulgaria (7), Slovakia (6) bt Denmark (4), The Netherlands (1) lost to South Africa (5).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand