Chhetri-less India face tough Maldives test in SAFF semis
Kathmandu: Defending champions India will start as underdogs when they take on an inspired Maldives in the second semi-final of the SAFF Football Championship here on Tuesday.
The six-time champions have always been overwhelming favourites in the South Asian region but the current side coached by Wim Koevermans has performed way below par in the tournament so far having won by a solitary goal against Pakistan, followed by a 1-1 draw against Bangladesh and a humiliating 1-2 defeat to Nepal in their final group league encounter.
If their poor show wasn`t enough, the absence of skipper Sunil Chhetri due to double booking means that the striking options are even more limited for the Dutch coach who will be forced to field Robin Singh from the start with a horribly out-of-touch Jeje Lalpeklhua.
Whether Koevermans sticks to his one striker formula of playing with a 4-5-1 formation or he changes to a more familiar 4-4-2 by pushing Robin alongside Jeje can decide the course of the match.
It will probably be the first time that Maldives are the form team with their skipper Ali Ashfaq having pumping in 10 goals in two matches, including a double hat-trick against Sri Lanka and four against Bhutan.
Compared to Maldives, India have scored three goals in three matches including an one own-goal by Pakistan skipper Samar Ishaq, while Chhetri`s precision free-kick against Bangladesh and Nabi`s acrobatic side-volley versus Nepal have both come during the dying moments of the respective matches.
If the Indians are in the semi-final, it was more to do with group league equations that saw both Pakistan and Bangladesh bow out of the tournament. But if India possess the proverbial Champions Luck, there is every possibility that they might pull through when it matters the most.
Gourmangi Singh is expected to wear the captain`s arm-band in Chhetri`s absence by virtue of earning the most number of international caps (84) in the current side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27