Chhetri-less India face tough Maldives test in SAFF semis
Kathmandu: Defending champions India will start as underdogs when they take on an inspired Maldives in the second semi-final of the SAFF Football Championship here on Tuesday.
The six-time champions have always been overwhelming favourites in the South Asian region but the current side coached by Wim Koevermans has performed way below par in the tournament so far having won by a solitary goal against Pakistan, followed by a 1-1 draw against Bangladesh and a humiliating 1-2 defeat to Nepal in their final group league encounter.
If their poor show wasn`t enough, the absence of skipper Sunil Chhetri due to double booking means that the striking options are even more limited for the Dutch coach who will be forced to field Robin Singh from the start with a horribly out-of-touch Jeje Lalpeklhua.
Whether Koevermans sticks to his one striker formula of playing with a 4-5-1 formation or he changes to a more familiar 4-4-2 by pushing Robin alongside Jeje can decide the course of the match.
It will probably be the first time that Maldives are the form team with their skipper Ali Ashfaq having pumping in 10 goals in two matches, including a double hat-trick against Sri Lanka and four against Bhutan.
Compared to Maldives, India have scored three goals in three matches including an one own-goal by Pakistan skipper Samar Ishaq, while Chhetri`s precision free-kick against Bangladesh and Nabi`s acrobatic side-volley versus Nepal have both come during the dying moments of the respective matches.
If the Indians are in the semi-final, it was more to do with group league equations that saw both Pakistan and Bangladesh bow out of the tournament. But if India possess the proverbial Champions Luck, there is every possibility that they might pull through when it matters the most.
Gourmangi Singh is expected to wear the captain`s arm-band in Chhetri`s absence by virtue of earning the most number of international caps (84) in the current side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back