Chhetri-less India face tough Maldives test in SAFF semis
Kathmandu: Defending champions India will start as underdogs when they take on an inspired Maldives in the second semi-final of the SAFF Football Championship here on Tuesday.
The six-time champions have always been overwhelming favourites in the South Asian region but the current side coached by Wim Koevermans has performed way below par in the tournament so far having won by a solitary goal against Pakistan, followed by a 1-1 draw against Bangladesh and a humiliating 1-2 defeat to Nepal in their final group league encounter.
If their poor show wasn`t enough, the absence of skipper Sunil Chhetri due to double booking means that the striking options are even more limited for the Dutch coach who will be forced to field Robin Singh from the start with a horribly out-of-touch Jeje Lalpeklhua.
Whether Koevermans sticks to his one striker formula of playing with a 4-5-1 formation or he changes to a more familiar 4-4-2 by pushing Robin alongside Jeje can decide the course of the match.
It will probably be the first time that Maldives are the form team with their skipper Ali Ashfaq having pumping in 10 goals in two matches, including a double hat-trick against Sri Lanka and four against Bhutan.
Compared to Maldives, India have scored three goals in three matches including an one own-goal by Pakistan skipper Samar Ishaq, while Chhetri`s precision free-kick against Bangladesh and Nabi`s acrobatic side-volley versus Nepal have both come during the dying moments of the respective matches.
If the Indians are in the semi-final, it was more to do with group league equations that saw both Pakistan and Bangladesh bow out of the tournament. But if India possess the proverbial Champions Luck, there is every possibility that they might pull through when it matters the most.
Gourmangi Singh is expected to wear the captain`s arm-band in Chhetri`s absence by virtue of earning the most number of international caps (84) in the current side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured