China qualify for women`s World Hockey Cup
New Delhi: Olympic silver-medallists China has become the eighth country to qualify for the Rabobank women`s Hockey World Cup to be held from May 31 to June 14 next year in The Hague, Netherlands.
The confirmation came after TriFinance EuroHockey Championships in Boom, Belgium.
China, who missed out on direct World Cup qualification by finishing fourth at the recent Investec Hockey World League semifinal in London, England, were promoted from first reserves to guaranteed participants courtesy Germany`s success in the TriFinance EuroHockey Championships.
Like all of the continental championships, the big prize on offer at the Euros was direct qualification for next year`s Hockey World Cup.
However, with Germany having already achieved World Cup qualification thanks to a first place finish at last month`s Hockey World League Semi-Final in Rotterdam, a ticket to the Netherlands was handed to first reserves China.
Four more places up for grabs at the upcoming Asian, Oceania, Pan American and African continental championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic
- REVEALED: Harbhajan Singh tells what he told Aussies after which they stopped sledging him
- Facebook bids goodbye to desktop ad exchange
- Brent oil pushes above $50 for first time in nearly seven months