China reached last 16 at World beach volleyball
Stare Jablonki (Poland): Chinese pair Xue Chen and Zhang Xi beat Maria Antonelli and Agatha Bednarczuk of Brazil 23-21, 21-15 to advance to the last 16 in the women`s competition of the beach volleyball world championships.
The Chinese pair, tipped to be title contenders, struggled at the beginning and faced four set points as they were falling behind 16-20 in the first set Thursday. But they miraculously staved off all these points before finishing off the set with two unreturned serves from Xue, reports Xinhua.
"I had always served heavily to pin them close to the baseline until the final moment of the first set. Then I delivered two light serves which obviously caught them unprepared," said Xue.
The Brazilian team raced to a 9-6 lead in the second set but the Chinese fought back with a 9-1 run, then they never looked back.
The Chinese pair will play Miller Elwin and Henriette Iatika of Vanuatu in the round of 16 Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says