China`s new curling coach focused on Olympic berth
Vancouver: Marcel Rocque, new head coach of China`s national curling programme, says his main priority as he begins his tenure is ensuring the women`s team qualifies for February`s Sochi Olympics.
With the China men`s team having already qualified for the Winter Games by virtue of a sixth-place finish at the world championship in April, the women`s squad led by Wang Bingyu, the 2009 world champion, will be looking to join them with a successful showing at the final Olympic qualifier in December, reports Xinhua.
The Chinese women`s team, who won a bronze at the 2010 Winter Olympics here, the country`s first curling medal, will be among seven nations in Fuessen, Germany, fighting for the final two spots to be among the 10 nations qualifying for the Games.
"They`re definitely skilled and I`m not sure why in the last few years they`ve underperformed, but that`s my focus is to try to figure out what is causing them to underperform," said Rocque, a 42-year-old Canadian who was hired by the China Curling Association in June on a 10-month contract to oversee the men`s and women`s national teams, as well as three junior teams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report