China to bid for 2022 Winter Games
Beijing: Beijing and China`s northern city of Zhangjiakou will jointly bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, state media said on Tuesday citing the local Olympic Committee.
Zhangjiakou, in Hebei province about 200 kilometres northwest of Beijing, has been proposed for snow sports while the capital would host ice events, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Construction on a railway linking the two cities will begin late this year, it added.
Kazakhstan`s Almaty has already announced official candidacies while Munich faces a referendum on Sunday which will decide if it will officially bid for the 2022 Games. Bids are also expected from Poland, Ukraine, Spain and Norway.
China hosted the widely acclaimed 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing despite concerns about human rights abuses and forced evictions ahead of the Games.
The 2008 Games marked the first time China had won an Olympic bid after losing out to Sydney for the 2000 Summer Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH