Chinappa in final of Chennai Open
Chennai: India`s Joshna Chinappa earned a chance to win her first ever Chennai Open title as she reached the final of the prestigious event after spanking Salma Hany Ibrahim Ahmed of Egypt in straight games, here on Friday.
Joshna recorded a facile 13-11, 11-4, 11-8 win to set up the title clash against England`s third seed Sarah Jane Perry, who dashed hope of an all-Indian final by getting the better of Anaka Alankamony.
Anaka went down fighting 11-8, 5-11, 11-6, 12-14, 6-11 in 69 minutes in the second semifinal.
Joshna, who had suffered a knee injury three months ago, was in her elements as her variety of shots and control was too good for the Egyptian.
Anaka fought well but it was tough for her to get to her grips against a higher-ranked rival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi