Chinappa in final of Chennai Open
Chennai: India`s Joshna Chinappa earned a chance to win her first ever Chennai Open title as she reached the final of the prestigious event after spanking Salma Hany Ibrahim Ahmed of Egypt in straight games, here on Friday.
Joshna recorded a facile 13-11, 11-4, 11-8 win to set up the title clash against England`s third seed Sarah Jane Perry, who dashed hope of an all-Indian final by getting the better of Anaka Alankamony.
Anaka went down fighting 11-8, 5-11, 11-6, 12-14, 6-11 in 69 minutes in the second semifinal.
Joshna, who had suffered a knee injury three months ago, was in her elements as her variety of shots and control was too good for the Egyptian.
Anaka fought well but it was tough for her to get to her grips against a higher-ranked rival.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India