China’s Chen Jin wins Badminton Asia Championships, almost in London Olympics
Qingdao (China): Chinese shuttler Chen Jin was only one step away from qualifying for the London Olympic Games after winning men`s singles title at the 2012 Badminton Asia Championships here on Sunday.
Chen cruised past teammate Du Pengyu 21-12, 21-18 in the final to clinch his third consecutive title in recent three tournaments.
Victories in Switzerland, Australia and Asia Championships give Chen`s Olympic hopes a big boost as his close rival, Denmark`s Peter Gade, suffered a surprise quarterfinal defeat at the European Championships.
Chen is currently ranked fifth in the world, but based on points collected during the Olympic period he is at No. 4, ahead of Gade. Chen needs to secure the fourth place until the end of April to ensure his Olympic ticket.
Meanwhile, Chinese women shuttlers Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei beat their teammates to clinch the doubles gold at the Asian Badminton Championships here on Sunday.
The first set of the final was lopsided as the world No.2 Tian/Zhao defeated Bao Yixin/Zhong Qianxin 21-14.
The world No. 15 Bao/Zhong kept the score very close through half time of the second set, but Tian/Zhao pulled away and triumphed with 21-15.
"We didn``t change our tactics with determined purpose while lagging behind, and I was anxious on the court," said Bao Yixin.
"Although they are younger than us, they are very powerful and it is difficult for us to win," Tian Qing said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 85 seats, BJP in 53; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Out of 10 civic bodies, Shiv Sena ahead in BMC and Thane; BJP in 7, NCP in Pimpri Chinchwad