Chong Wei and Lin Dan set up dream final
Birmingham: Badminton`s dream final was on again after the world`s top two Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan battled through their All England semis on Saturday.
World number one Chong Wei beat South Korea`s Lee Hyun-il 21-19, 21-18 and was joined a couple of hours later by China`s world and Olympic champion Lin who edged out Japanese seventh seed Kenichi Tago 21-18, 21-17.
The final will be a repeat of the memorable world championship at Wembley Arena last August when Lin saved two match points before beating Chong Wei in three sets.
Chong Wei, seeking a hat-trick of title wins in the All England tournament, made errors on the way but eventually outlasted his eighth-seeded opponent to the joy of a large Malaysian contingent in the big crowd.
He told reporters: "My hand was a little bit painful. I woke up with it this morning but it will be fine for tomorrow."
The women`s singles produced another mighty feat from world champion Wang Yihan who came from behind to beat Chinese compatriot Wang Shixian 20-22 21-18 21-18 in an 85-minute marathon.
In Friday`s quarter-finals Wang Yihan had saved four match points before edging out Denmark`s Tine Baun in another tough three-setter.
In Sunday`s final Wang will meet seventh-seeded compatriot Li Xuerui who beat Taiwan`s Tai Tzu Ying 19-21, 21-16, 21-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'