Chong Wei and Lin Dan set up dream final
Birmingham: Badminton`s dream final was on again after the world`s top two Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan battled through their All England semis on Saturday.
World number one Chong Wei beat South Korea`s Lee Hyun-il 21-19, 21-18 and was joined a couple of hours later by China`s world and Olympic champion Lin who edged out Japanese seventh seed Kenichi Tago 21-18, 21-17.
The final will be a repeat of the memorable world championship at Wembley Arena last August when Lin saved two match points before beating Chong Wei in three sets.
Chong Wei, seeking a hat-trick of title wins in the All England tournament, made errors on the way but eventually outlasted his eighth-seeded opponent to the joy of a large Malaysian contingent in the big crowd.
He told reporters: "My hand was a little bit painful. I woke up with it this morning but it will be fine for tomorrow."
The women`s singles produced another mighty feat from world champion Wang Yihan who came from behind to beat Chinese compatriot Wang Shixian 20-22 21-18 21-18 in an 85-minute marathon.
In Friday`s quarter-finals Wang Yihan had saved four match points before edging out Denmark`s Tine Baun in another tough three-setter.
In Sunday`s final Wang will meet seventh-seeded compatriot Li Xuerui who beat Taiwan`s Tai Tzu Ying 19-21, 21-16, 21-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test