Chong Wei and Lin Dan set up dream final
Birmingham: Badminton`s dream final was on again after the world`s top two Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan battled through their All England semis on Saturday.
World number one Chong Wei beat South Korea`s Lee Hyun-il 21-19, 21-18 and was joined a couple of hours later by China`s world and Olympic champion Lin who edged out Japanese seventh seed Kenichi Tago 21-18, 21-17.
The final will be a repeat of the memorable world championship at Wembley Arena last August when Lin saved two match points before beating Chong Wei in three sets.
Chong Wei, seeking a hat-trick of title wins in the All England tournament, made errors on the way but eventually outlasted his eighth-seeded opponent to the joy of a large Malaysian contingent in the big crowd.
He told reporters: "My hand was a little bit painful. I woke up with it this morning but it will be fine for tomorrow."
The women`s singles produced another mighty feat from world champion Wang Yihan who came from behind to beat Chinese compatriot Wang Shixian 20-22 21-18 21-18 in an 85-minute marathon.
In Friday`s quarter-finals Wang Yihan had saved four match points before edging out Denmark`s Tine Baun in another tough three-setter.
In Sunday`s final Wang will meet seventh-seeded compatriot Li Xuerui who beat Taiwan`s Tai Tzu Ying 19-21, 21-16, 21-10.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference