Chong Wei, Intanon lift men and women's titles at India Open
New Delhi: World number one Lee Chong Wei faced a stiff challenge but in the end stamped his class to prevail over Kenichi Tago of Japan and claim the men's singles title at India Open Super Series badminton tournament here today.
Chong Wei took an hour and three minutes to overcome his world number nine Japanese opponent 21-15 18-21 21-17 in the summit clash at the Siri Fort Sports Complex.
Earlier, world number six Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand clinched the women's singles title after causing an upset victory over world number four Juliane Schenk of Germany 22-20 21-14 in 45 minutes.
Chong Wei and Tago began on an equal footing before Chong Wei, who was playing his third consecutive final here, surged ahead from 9-all by taking three straight points. The Japanese managed a point in between but the Malaysian again took three successive points to take a 15-10 lead. Chong Wei kept on extending the gap before winning the opening game 21-15.
In the second game, Tago got his act together and straightaway opened up a 3-0 lead. He made it 12-4 in no time to leave the Malaysian grasping for breath.
Chong Wei was not the one to surrender so easily as he won five successive points to make it 9-12. The Japanese was also in no mood to let the advantage slip away. He kept on winning points even as Chong Wei showed his class by coming back again and again.
Serving at 20-15 in the second game, Tago hit it out to give the serve to Chong Wei, who also bagged the next two points to make it 18-20. Tago, however, managed to win a point to take the match to the deciding game.
The third game was a neck-and-neck affair till 7-7 before Chong Wei put in all his experience to take a 13-8 lead. The game involved long rallies and smashes that mostly went in Chong Wei's favour.
At 16-9, Chong Wei suddenly seemed to have lost steam as he gifted his opponent a few points by making unforced errors. Tago capitalised on it and made it 16-17 but Chong Wei showed why he is world number one as he finally bagged the thrilling battle with his powerful smash.
In the opening game of Intanon-Schenk clash, the third seeded Thai initially committed a number of unforced errors as she kept hitting the net to give points to her German opponent.
After opening up a 7-3 lead, the second seeded German continued to move ahead to extend the gap before they went for a break with Schenk leading 11-7.
But after the break, Intanon came back strongly, winning eight points on the trot to surge ahead 15-11, even as the German suddenly lost rhythm and kept hitting it out.
Intanon eventually made it 20-13 and the first game seemed all but over for Schenk before she saved as many as seven match points to level the scores 20-20.
But Intanon bagged two straight points to seal the game in her favour 22-20.
The second game was levelled till 9-all with both the players trading points mainly due to unforced errors.
The Thai then opened up a small 12-9 lead but Schenk was not the one to surrender so easily. She hit a fine smash before taking another point to yet again reduce the gap to 12-14.
But Intanon patiently waited for a service break and then earned three successive points to make it 20-13 before finally wrapping it off 21-14.
"I am happy. In the first game, when I was leading 20-13, I was in a hurry to finish the game and ended up giving my opponent seven straight points," said Intanon.
Schenk said that Intanon played the deciding points better.
"When I lost to her in the Olympics, everyone had told me that I lost to a junior, but see how amazing player she has been. She has been in flow since the last 2-3 tournaments," Schenk said.
"I was playing well to start with but you have to be patient against Intonon. She was better while playing the deciding points," added the German.
Meanwhile, in the women's doubles final, fourth seeded Japanese combo of Miyuki Maeda and Satoko Suetsuna registered an upset victory over second seeded pair of Christinna Pedersen and Kamilla Rytter Juhl of Denmark 12-21 23-21 21-18 in little less than an hour.
It was a hat-trick for the top seeded Indonesian mixed doubles pair of Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir at the India Open. They beat Korean duo of Sung Hyun Ko and Ha Na Kim 21-16 21-13 in 33 minutes to lift mixed doubles title for the third time in a row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe