Citing Sri Lanka, Tamil Nadu says `no` to athletics
Chennai: Citing human rights abuses by Colombo, Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Thursday said Tamil Nadu won`t host the 20th Asian Athletics Championship in July in which Sri Lanka will take part.
"The state will not conduct the championship and it cannot be held in Tamil Nadu. The general secretary of the Asian Athletics Association will be asked by the state to hold the event somewhere else," she said.
The chief minister reiterated that the killing of the 12-year-old son of slain Tamil Tigers chief Velupillai Prabhakaran was "an unpardonable crime and has moved my heart".
She said more evidence was emerging about the way innocent Tamils were killed by the Sri Lankan military in the final stages of the war against the Tamil Tigers that ended in May 2009.
The "genocide in Sri Lanka exceeds what Adolf Hitler carried out in Germany", Jayalalithaa said.
She said Tamil Nadu had decided to host the Asian Athletics Championship to encourage sports "but is also firm that Sri Lankan Tamils be treated with dignity".
The chief minister again urged the Indian government to impose economic sanctions on Sri Lanka till Tamils displaced by the war returned to their original homes and were treated on part with the Sinhalese majority.
Jayalalithaa has also opposed training of Sri Lankan military personnel in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read