Clippers president Roeser takes leave of absence
New York: Los Angeles Clippers President Andy Roeser, who has been with the NBA club since 1984, will take an indefinite leave of absence starting immediately, the league announced Tuesday.
The news came three days after the NBA announced that it would appoint a new chief executive to oversee the day-to-day operations of the club in the wake of the racism scandal that led to a life ban being imposed on owner Donald Sterling.
"This will provide an opportunity for a new CEO to begin on a clean slate and for the team to stabilize under difficult circumstances," said NBA spokesman Mike Bass.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver banned Sterling, the longest-tenured NBA team owner, for life after racist remarks he made in a private conversation with a girlfriend were made public.
The comments, first released by celebrity website TMZ, included Sterling saying he didn`t want his girlfriend bringing black people to Clippers games or posting photographs of herself on social media with black people.
A firestorm of outrage followed, leading the Clippers players to wear their uniforms inside out in a pre-game warmup before Silver banned Sterling and fined the 80-year-old billionaire $2.5 million dollars, the maximum allowed under league rules.
NBA owners have also started the process of setting up a vote to strip the team from Sterling, a move that could push him to sell the Clippers, who are likely to attract bids of more than $600 million, or take the NBA to court in a legal fight that could be bitter and lengthy.
Sterling has a history of litigation, including legal triumphs in controversial matters involving racial issues in past business dealings with his real estate empire.
Roeser had guided the Clippers for the past week but had upset many with a statement in the hours after the comments first became public, saying in part the remarks did not reflect Sterling`s true feelings on racial matters before it was certain Sterling had made them.
Sterling later admitted to the league that he made the comments.
On the court, Clippers players overcame the distraction swirling around them to defeat the Golden State Warriors four games to three in the opening round of the Western Conference playoffs.
The Clippers began their second-round best-of-seven series against Oklahoma City on Monday with a 122-105 road triumph over the Thunder.
The Clippers` success in recent days has swiped some of the luster from Thunder star Kevin Durant`s being given the NBA 2014 Most Valuable Player award on Tuesday and it helped prompt the Warriors to fire coach Mark Jackson on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla