Close to 30,000 participants expected for Delhi half marathon
New Delhi: Around 30,000 people are expected to participate in the eighth edition of the USD 210,000 Delhi half marathon, which will be flagged off from Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here on September 30.
Apart from the half marathon, which will cover a distance of 21km, there will be a seven-km long Great Delhi run and 4.3km senior citizens` and wheelchair events, the organisers said.
Focused on the theme `Make Friends With Delhi`, the annual sporting event will be held under the aegis of the Athletics Federation of India.
The world`s most prestigious half marathon race, recognised by IAAF as a "gold label" event and certified by the Association of International Marathons and Road Races, returns for the eighth year, and for the fifth time in its current avatar of the Delhi Half Marathon.
Announcing the registrations open, the organisers said that Rs 800 will be the entry fee for the half marathon while Rs 500 for the Great Delhi Run and Rs 200 for the Senior Citizens` Run and the Wheelchair event.
The registrations close on August 31 or as soon as running places for each race category is filled, whichever is earlier.
`Face of the Event`, Bipasha Basu will be promoting the `Bipasha Women`s Brigade` through the Marathon, encouraging women to cultivate health and fitness.
"Prize money of USD 210,000 on offer helps the event maintain its status as the world`s richest half marathon and is expected to attract 40 of the world`s top 100 male and female long distance athletes," the organisers said.
The male and female winners of the Marathon stand to gain USD 25,000 each, with prize money percolating down to the first ten places. The male and female Indian winners will get Rs 2.5 lakh each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends