Comets inch closer to semifinals with 3-0 rout of Cheetahs
Chennai: Harjot Singh shone under the bar as Chandigarh Comets defeated Chennai Cheetahs 3-0 to virtually assure themselves of a berth in the semi-finals of the World Series Hockey, on Monday. After taking the lead in the second minute through Mohd Amir Khan, Gurjinder Singh increased the tally when he scored eight minutes later following a penalty corner.
Sukwinder Singh Gabbar made it 3-0 after he scored from a penalty stroke, which was awarded to the Comets for Vikram Pillay`s infringement. With 22 points, Comets are placed second on the points table, behind leaders Sher-E-Punjab (25).
Chennai Cheetahs failed to raise their game before the home fans and lacked in all departments, including wasting seven penalty corners. Pakistan`s Syed Imran Warsi failed for the second time running, after their loss to Sher-E-Punjab yesterday.
In all counts, it was a pathetic performance by the hosts and the experiments consistently tried by coach Jose Brasa proved to be futile, while captain Brent Livermore was wasted in the defense. The important feature of the match was Harjot exhibiting his skills to great effect, particularly against penalty corners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state