Comets inch closer to semifinals with 3-0 rout of Cheetahs
Chennai: Harjot Singh shone under the bar as Chandigarh Comets defeated Chennai Cheetahs 3-0 to virtually assure themselves of a berth in the semi-finals of the World Series Hockey, on Monday. After taking the lead in the second minute through Mohd Amir Khan, Gurjinder Singh increased the tally when he scored eight minutes later following a penalty corner.
Sukwinder Singh Gabbar made it 3-0 after he scored from a penalty stroke, which was awarded to the Comets for Vikram Pillay`s infringement. With 22 points, Comets are placed second on the points table, behind leaders Sher-E-Punjab (25).
Chennai Cheetahs failed to raise their game before the home fans and lacked in all departments, including wasting seven penalty corners. Pakistan`s Syed Imran Warsi failed for the second time running, after their loss to Sher-E-Punjab yesterday.
In all counts, it was a pathetic performance by the hosts and the experiments consistently tried by coach Jose Brasa proved to be futile, while captain Brent Livermore was wasted in the defense. The important feature of the match was Harjot exhibiting his skills to great effect, particularly against penalty corners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?