Comets inch closer to semifinals with 3-0 rout of Cheetahs
Chennai: Harjot Singh shone under the bar as Chandigarh Comets defeated Chennai Cheetahs 3-0 to virtually assure themselves of a berth in the semi-finals of the World Series Hockey, on Monday. After taking the lead in the second minute through Mohd Amir Khan, Gurjinder Singh increased the tally when he scored eight minutes later following a penalty corner.
Sukwinder Singh Gabbar made it 3-0 after he scored from a penalty stroke, which was awarded to the Comets for Vikram Pillay`s infringement. With 22 points, Comets are placed second on the points table, behind leaders Sher-E-Punjab (25).
Chennai Cheetahs failed to raise their game before the home fans and lacked in all departments, including wasting seven penalty corners. Pakistan`s Syed Imran Warsi failed for the second time running, after their loss to Sher-E-Punjab yesterday.
In all counts, it was a pathetic performance by the hosts and the experiments consistently tried by coach Jose Brasa proved to be futile, while captain Brent Livermore was wasted in the defense. The important feature of the match was Harjot exhibiting his skills to great effect, particularly against penalty corners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?