Commonwealth TT: Indian men blanked by Singapore in final
New Delhi: Indian paddlers could not match the speed of their Singapore rivals and were blanked 0-3 in the men’s team final at the Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships here Wednesday.
Sanil Shetty taking two games off higher-ranked Ma Liang in the third singles was all India could manage against their sharper opponents.
In the words of India’s top player Sharath Kamal, the loss to Singapore was worse than their 1-3 defeat against the same team in the tournament’s last edition in 2009.
The silver in the men’s team championship came a day after the Indian women settled for the bronze. The mighty Singapore women`s team blanked England earlier Wednesday to complete a clean sweep of the team titles for the third successive time in the biennial championships.
Soumyajit Ghosh, India’s star in the semi-final against England, tried his best against World No.26 Zhan Jian before going down 11-13, 8-11, 4-11.
Egged on by a sparse gathering at the Thyagaraj Stadium, the 189th-ranked India started well and raced to a 10-6 lead, before the Singapore No.1 fought back to go one up. Ghosh’s challenge fizzled out thereafter as Zhan closed out the match.
Hopes were high from Sharath in the second singles as he had beaten Li Hu in their last meeting at the 2011 Swedish Open. But to his surprise, the World No.56 was an improved player now.
Sharath, ranked 69, failed to keep pace with Li to easily lose the first game. He showed fight in the third and was leading 6-4 after winning a spectacular rally from the back. The gritty Singaporean, however, recovered to cut the deficit and went on to win the contest 11-4, 11-4, 11-8. India were staring at a whitewash.
The drubbing was almost avoided by Sanil Shetty in the crucial third rubber. World No.329 Shetty punched above his weight to push No.180 Ma Liang but ultimately went down 8-11, 11-9, 11-8, 9-11, 7-11.
The stylish left-hander produced heavy spin from his forehand to trouble Ma but committed too many unforced errors. Shetty was 7-4 up in the decider and looked set for a memorable victory. But Ma staged a remarkable fight back to take the next seven points for a Singapore sweep of the team events.
Rating India’s performance against a superior side, coach Kamlesh Mehta said: “Singapore have all Chinese players. It is like a China B team. They were much quicker around the table than us. They were able to dictate pace in all matches. All our boys started well but could not keep up with their opponents` speed.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in