Concerted efforts needed to succeed at highest level: Narang
New Delhi: The way the sports in our country is governed has often come under severe criticism, but the London Olympics bronze medallist shooter Gagan Narang today said "nowhere in world sports is encouraged as it is done in India".
The shooter, however, called for concerted efforts to take the sports in the country to the higher level.
"Problems are everywhere. An athlete has to look at what he can do best, fault finding will not help him achieve his goal.”
"Efforts are being made. The only thing is that we need to build on these efforts. There is a need for concerted effort. The support should come right from the beginning, through parents, through the education system...," Narang said during the India Today conclave here.
Adding that the number of people taking up sports as a prospective career are limited in our country, Narang said there was a need to develop "sporting culture".
"How many of our shooters are in the top level? If you see just 7,000 to 10,000 are in that bracket and we have just have 20,000 shooters in all. If we can win four medals out of this number, we definitely have chance to win more medals if this figure reaches 100,000. Same is with the other sports. A sporting culture needs to be developed in the country," he said.
Silver medallist grappler Sushil endorsed Narang`s views.
"After the Beijing Games, there has been a shift in the athletes` way of thinking. First they used to participate in the Olympics just for the sake of being called the Olympians. But that mindset has now changed. We went to the Olympics with an aim to win medals and if you see our athletes have performed well in London. Joydeep Karmakar finished fourth, Krishna Poonia made it to the finals," Sushil insisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH