Confer Bharat Ratna to Dhyan Chand: HIL chief Batra
Bhubaneswar: Demand for honouring Dhyan Chand with Bharat Ratna got louder on Tuesday with Hockey India League asking the government to confer the country`s highest civilian award to the hockey wizard.
"We welcome the Bharat Ratna for Sachin Tendulkar. We will be happy if the government of India also announces the name of Dhyan Chand for the highest civilian award," HIL chairman and Hockey India Secretary General Narendra Batra said here.
"As chairman of HIL, I will take up the matter with the Ministry of Sports soon," Batra, who was here for launching of Kalinga Lancers, the sixth franchisee in the the second edition of HIL, said.
HIL vice-president Pratap Satpathy said that Dhyan Chand was the greatest hockey player of all times and he was instrumental in taking India in international sport map.
"We are not opposed to the Bharat Ratna for (Sachin) Tendulkar. But, it would be injustice if Dhyan Chand is not conferred with the highest civilian award," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray