Confer Bharat Ratna to Dhyan Chand: HIL chief Batra
Bhubaneswar: Demand for honouring Dhyan Chand with Bharat Ratna got louder on Tuesday with Hockey India League asking the government to confer the country`s highest civilian award to the hockey wizard.
"We welcome the Bharat Ratna for Sachin Tendulkar. We will be happy if the government of India also announces the name of Dhyan Chand for the highest civilian award," HIL chairman and Hockey India Secretary General Narendra Batra said here.
"As chairman of HIL, I will take up the matter with the Ministry of Sports soon," Batra, who was here for launching of Kalinga Lancers, the sixth franchisee in the the second edition of HIL, said.
HIL vice-president Pratap Satpathy said that Dhyan Chand was the greatest hockey player of all times and he was instrumental in taking India in international sport map.
"We are not opposed to the Bharat Ratna for (Sachin) Tendulkar. But, it would be injustice if Dhyan Chand is not conferred with the highest civilian award," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP