Contador rules out Vuelta return
Madrid: Spanish cyclist Alberto Cotador has confirmed that he will be forced to pull out of this year`s Vuelta de Espana (Tour of Spain) cycle race as a result of the injury he suffered recently in the Tour de France.
Contador had been among the favourites to win the Tour, especially after last year`s winner Chris Froome was forced to withdraw from the race with a broken wrist, but a fall on the tenth stage saw him fracture his tibia and he too had to step off his bike.
Following Contador`s crash, Froome sent a message saying he hoped they would meet again in the Vuelta, but a `tweet` from Contador Wednesday confirmed he will not take part in the race which begins Aug 23 in the south of Spain.
"It`s a bad day today, the scarring on my injury has got complicated and I don`t have a date for when I will get back on my bike. Goodbye to the Vuelta," wrote the man who has won two Tours de France, two Vueltas and the Giro de Italia during his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM