Contador rules out Vuelta return
Madrid: Spanish cyclist Alberto Cotador has confirmed that he will be forced to pull out of this year`s Vuelta de Espana (Tour of Spain) cycle race as a result of the injury he suffered recently in the Tour de France.
Contador had been among the favourites to win the Tour, especially after last year`s winner Chris Froome was forced to withdraw from the race with a broken wrist, but a fall on the tenth stage saw him fracture his tibia and he too had to step off his bike.
Following Contador`s crash, Froome sent a message saying he hoped they would meet again in the Vuelta, but a `tweet` from Contador Wednesday confirmed he will not take part in the race which begins Aug 23 in the south of Spain.
"It`s a bad day today, the scarring on my injury has got complicated and I don`t have a date for when I will get back on my bike. Goodbye to the Vuelta," wrote the man who has won two Tours de France, two Vueltas and the Giro de Italia during his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 32: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Kings XI Punjab — As it happened...
- Non-veg food banned in Lucknow University campus, students term the decision as 'anti-Dalit'
- When Sachin Tendulkar's run-out against Pakistan triggered huge riot
- Rishi Kapoor spills the beans over son Ranbir Kapoor’s break-up with Katrina Kaif?
- Canara Bank revises lending rates based on MCLR