Couzins, Hayward to replace Pak players in Waveriders team
New Delhi: New Zealand duo of Dean Couzins and Andrew Hayward will replace the two Pakistani players -- Muhammad Rizwan Sr and Muhammad Rizwan Jr -- in the Delhi Waveriders squad for the ongoing Hockey India League, according to a team source.
Both defenders, Couzins (31) and Hayward (27), have 260 and 137 international caps behind them respectively.
The inaugural HIL received a setback even before its start and a rattled Hockey India was forced to send back all the nine Pakistani players taking part in its high-profile league following protests over the brutal killing of Indian soldiers by Pakistani army along the Line of Control earlier this month.
After protests by Shiv Sena and other right-wing organisations disrupted the training and the first match of the league, HI took the decision to send back the Pakistani players considering the "extra-ordinary circumstances".
The nine Pakistani players in the league -- Fareed Ahmed, Imran Butt, Mahmood Rashid and Muhammad Tousiq (all Mumbai Magicians), Muhammad Rizwan Sr and Muhammad Rizwan Jr (Delhi Waveriders), Muhammad Irfan and Shafqat Rasool (Ranchi Rhinos) and Kashif Shah (Jaypee Punjab Warriors) -- all returned home without featuring in a single match.
Earlier Mumbai Magicians have also replaced their four Pakistani recruits -- Tousiq , Rashid, Fareed and Imran Butt -- with Australians Jason Wilson, Tim Deavan, Glenn Simpson and New Zealand`s Steven Edwards.
Table toppers Delhi will play bottom-placed Mumbai in their next league match at the Major Dhyanchand Stadium here on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks