Craig Gribble appointed as HIL umpires manager
New Delhi: Craig Gribble was Sunday appointed the Hockey India League (HIL) Umpires Manager.
"Attracting such quality to serve in the senior technical role of the HIL is a true testament to the status of the tournament and how it is perceived globally by the world`s leading officials," said HIL chairman Narinder Batra.
Gribble said he is looking forward to being a part of the six franchise-based event to be held from Jan 25.
"I am looking forward for being part of the HIL where I can work with the appointed umpire and officiating panels and also help develop the local umpires. It will be a wonderful opportunity for the umpire group to apply their craft to such an exciting brand of hockey," said Gribble.
"It will be a great opportunity to work again with the world`s leading tournament director Bjorn Isberg. We have worked together at the 2011 Champions Trophy and the 2012 London Olympics. I watched many of the games of inaugural HIL season on TV in New Zealand and I was excited by the hockey and the great mix of India`s domestic and international players."
The 47-year-old is currently the technical manager of Hockey New Zealand and has conducted many events over the recent years.
He has been part of 2010 Commonwealth Games, the 2011 and 2012 Champions Trophy tournaments, two 2012 Olympic qualification tournaments, the 2012 London Olympics and the 2013 FIH World League Semifinals in Rotterdam.
Gribble has been working as an international umpire manager since 2007 after retiring from international umpiring in 2006. He stood in the 48 test matches from 1997-2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir