CSI condemns IOA for not acting against Kalmadi
New Delhi: Clean Sports India (CSI) on Saturday condemned the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) for shying away from taking any action against its tainted president Suresh Kalmadi despite repeated threats from the world body to act on its own on the matter.
The IOA`s executive board met in New Delhi on Friday to discuss the letters sent to it by the International Olympic Committee to act against Kalmadi, who is fighting corruption charges against him related to the conduct of 2010 Commonwealth Games.
But the IOA refrained from taking any hard decisions and said that there will be no change in the status quo, which means Kalmadi is safe as ever and can always make a comeback.
"Clean Sports India, on behalf of all sportspersons of our state and country, condemn the inaction of IOA," CSI vice-president Ashwini Nachappa said in a statement.
"The inaction, though expected, only proves that the IOA acting-president Vijay Kumar Malhotra is strongly standing behind Kalmadi," the former athlete said.
In Friday`s meeting, the executive board of the IOA also accepted Kalmadi`s letter to Malhotra that he would not be able to devote time to the association and would not exert his rights and obligations as president of the sports body.
"This inaction also proves that the present set up at the helm of affairs of IOA are continuing to act at the behest of Kalmadi," Nachappa said.
"We appeal to the IOC to refer this matter to their Ethics Commission. Strong action should be taken from the International Body as the IOA will never be able to take any action now or in the future," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India