CSI lauds IOC for deferring deadline to amend IOA constitution
New Delhi: Clean Sports India (CSI) today welcomed International Olympic Committee`s decision to postpone IOA Extraordinary General Meeting to amend it`s constitution.
IOC had set a July 15 deadline for the amendment of the IOA Constitution so that elections are held by September 1 to pave the way for lifting the ban on India imposed on December 4 last year but the CSI President Ashwini Nachappa feels that the world body might not be satisfied with the amendments sent by the Indian Olympic Association.
"It appears that IOC is not satisfied with the amendments sent by IOA as they do not cover crucial issues like prohibiting criminally tainted officials from holding any position in IOA and National Sports Federations," said Nachappa.
IOC Director General Christophe de Kepper said in his letter dated 28th June, 2013 addressed to Sports Minister and IOA President "given the complexity of the issues which have to be addressed (including good governance and ethics), the IOC needs more time".
IOC kept Suresh Kalmadi out of IOA in spite of the fact the Indian association refused to take any action against him. Also the IOC President Jaques Rogge clearly stated in it`s road map that incorporation of all principles of "Ethics and Good Governance" in the constitution is necessary for lifting ban.
But the CSI, in its press release said, it was Oblivious that the IOA did not send amendments that fulfill the IOC conditions and hence, the postponement of the meeting.
CSI Convener B V P Rao said that IOC is more keen on cleaning up the Indian sports system than Sports Ministry of India.
Rao also asked Secretary Sports P K Deb to come out with any document that the Sports Ministry sent to IOC on how to prevent criminally tainted officials like Suresh Kalmadi in to sports administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?