CSI writes to IOC about unethical election of IOA
New Delhi: Clean Sports India, a movement for corruption-free sports in the country, has written to the International Olympic Committee and apprised the apex body about the gross violation of "ethics" by the office-bearers of IOA ahead of its upcoming elections.
In her letter to IOC president Jacques Rogge, former international athlete and joint convener of CSI, Reeth Abraham described how a hoard of unethical persons are set to lead India`s Olympic movement.
Abhraham said that the situation is going from bad to worse as tainted sports administrators like Abhay Singh Chautala and Lalit Bhanot are set to take over the reigns of IOA after the polls on December 5.
She informed Rogge that both Bhanot and Chautala have criminal cases against them.
While Chautala has been elected unopposed as the president of IOA, Bhanot, who was jailed in connection with the Commonwealth Games corruption scam, has been elected as the secretary general yesterday.
Commonwealth Games medallist shooter Morad Ali Khan, who is also CSI`s convener of Delhi wing, thought that sports bodies in the country are suffering from serious ailment and needs to be cured immediately.
"If medicines do not work, it needs a surgery. IOC`s threat of suspension is a surgery for Indian sporting system," Morad argued.
Olympian and CSI acting president Ashwini Nachappa hoped that the situation would be resolved before 2014 when the IOA will amend its constitution and incorporate the age and tenure guidelines of Sports Code and hold fresh elections.
Clean Sports India convener B V P Rao said that this is a historic opportunity to clean up the mess in Indian sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened