Cuban baseball players allowed to play overseas
Havana: Ending a 50-year-old ban, Cuba finally allowed its baseball players to play in foreign professional clubs, the president of the Cuban Baseball Federation, Higinio Velez said.
"Allowing to play in foreign clubs is now a policy of the federation, fulfilling an old wish of our players and people, as a way to put the national baseball on the map," Velez was quoted.
He explained that the permits to play abroad could be for periods not affecting the Cuban National Series and would be granted "especially to the most excellent players, so they can go and fulfill their international commitments and can still return to represent their local teams."
Recently, the island`s authorities allowed the outstanding players Michel Enrique, Alfredo Despaigne and Yordanis Samon to play in the club Pirates of Campeche of the Mexican Professional League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town