Cuban baseball players allowed to play overseas
Havana: Ending a 50-year-old ban, Cuba finally allowed its baseball players to play in foreign professional clubs, the president of the Cuban Baseball Federation, Higinio Velez said.
"Allowing to play in foreign clubs is now a policy of the federation, fulfilling an old wish of our players and people, as a way to put the national baseball on the map," Velez was quoted.
He explained that the permits to play abroad could be for periods not affecting the Cuban National Series and would be granted "especially to the most excellent players, so they can go and fulfill their international commitments and can still return to represent their local teams."
Recently, the island`s authorities allowed the outstanding players Michel Enrique, Alfredo Despaigne and Yordanis Samon to play in the club Pirates of Campeche of the Mexican Professional League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range