Cuban baseball star defects during US visit: Report
London: A top Cuban baseball pitcher has defected to the United States in the latest move by a promising young athlete to leave the communist-ruled island, according to news reports on Wednesday.
Misael Siverio, 24, left Cuba with a national team for an exhibition game in Iowa this week, but slipped out of the hotel where the team was staying late on Tuesday, the Spanish-language el Nuevo Herald newspaper reported.
The left-hander told the Florida newspaper he had defected to the United States and hoped to make a career in Major League Baseball.
"Leaving your life behind is not easy, but it`s a decision that I have given a lot of thought to, and I took it for my future and for that of my family," Siverio told the newspaper.
"My dream is to make it in the major leagues, and from now on I will take the necessary steps to make that happen," he added.
The website for the Cuban national baseball squad lists Siverio as a team member traveling to the United States for a series of games starting on Thursday. Attempts to reach the organization for comment were not successful late on Wednesday.
Siverio is the latest in a line of Cuban athletes who have bolted the island nation.
Among Cuban baseball players, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez smuggled his way out by boat in 1997 and became a star pitcher with the New York Yankees, More recently, Yoenis Cespedes, 27, a power-hitting outfielder with the Oakland Athletics, left Cuba in 2011, while Yasiel Puig, 22, who defected in 2012, has had a spectacular debut with the Los Angeles Dodgers this season.
Defectors have also included film artists, ballet dancers and soccer players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IN PICS: Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters brutally thrash this man in Patna - Know why
- Good news! India win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag