Cueists Advani, Mehta in third round
Sheffield: India`s Pankaj Advani came up with a typical late fightback to snatch a dramatic 10-9 win over Chinese Li Hang and join compatriot Aditya Mehta in the third round of the Professional World Snooker Championship qualifying tournament here.
The 28-year-old won five of the last six frames Friday to oust Hang and set up a third round clash with Robbie Williams, the winner of which will advance to the 32-man main draw which will be played at the Crucible.
Bangalore`s Advani survived Hang`s early assault that saw the Chinese put in breaks of 63, 116, 67, 52, 120, 61 and 85 to lead 8-5 in the best-of-19 frames encounter.
Facing certain defeat, Advani kept his composure under tremendous pressure and clawed his way back by winning three frames on the trot to make it 8-all. Hang, however, took the 19th frame for a 9-8 lead but Advani scrambled home, pouching the 18th and 19th frames.
Earlier, Mumbai-based 28-year-old Mehta, aided by breaks of 53, 70, 81 and 72, defeated Christopher Keogan 10-4 and will clash with Jamie Jones for a main draw berth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH