CVC likely to summon officials related to CWG scam
New Delhi: Irked by delay in response to queries raised by it, the Central Vigilance Commissioner may summon officials of Union and State governments in connection with alleged financial irregularities in different Commonwealth Games related projects.
Official sources said the decision in this regard has been finalised after the Commission noticed the lackadaisical approach of some departments and officials.
"The Commission has the power of a court to call upon officials, documents and witnesses for its enquiries. We may send summons after deciding on formalities," a senior CVC official, who did not wish to be identified, said.
He said the measure will help the Commission to complete its probe on time.
In reply to an RTI query filed by journalists, the anti-corruption watchdog had said that it was looking into at least 22 projects being carried out in the national capital.
Out of which, six were being implemented by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, four by Delhi Development Authority, three by Organising Committee and two each by Municipal Corporation of Delhi, Central Public Works Department and Government of Delhi.
One work each relating to Department of Commerce, Indian Meteorological Department and New Delhi Municipal Council is also being enquired, the RTI reply had said.
The anti-corruption watchdog has also asked its Chief Vigilance Officers (CVOs) posted with relevant ministries or departments to coordinate and help them in speeding up the probe.
"The CVOs are folllowing the matter on almost a daily basis. We are hopeful of completing our findings soon," the official said.
"Complaints regarding alleged irregularities in purchase of air conditioners, furniture and kitchen equipment for Commonwealth Games Village were received and being looked into," the Commission said.
Sources said the CVC has earlier asked agencies to submit their reports by October. They said repeated reminders have also been sent to CPWD, MCD, DDA, PWD, Sports Ministry and OC to submit their reports which are not duly acknowledged and pending for action.
"There have been some departments which have not yet responded in the expected manner. We may summon official or records," the official said.
The Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Enforcement Directorate and Income Tax department are also conducting separate inquiries into the matter related to financial discrepancies and bunglings.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has appointed a high level committee headed by former CAG V K Shunglu to inquire and report within three months time its findings on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow