CWG`10 to be biggest in terms of participation
New Delhi: Around 7000 athletes and officials including close to 600 Indians would take part in next month`s Commonwealth Games here, making it the biggest in the history of the quadrennial sporting extravaganza in terms of participation.
The October 3-14 mega-event is all set to break the record of 2006 Melbourne Games, where approximately 5,800 athletes and team officials were in attendance, Organising Committee said.
"We are delighted to announce that Delhi 2010 is set to become the largest ever Commonwealth Games in terms of participation and we are confident that it will be conducted smoothly," OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot told a press conference.
"After September 3, which was the last date of receiving entries from the participating countries, we have got around 7000 entries. This number is likely to go up as Commonwealth Games Federation has a policy for accepting late entries and there are many requests," he added.
However, Bhanot denied to reveal name of any participant.
"Importantly, there are many World, Olympic, Commonwealth Games and continental champions among the participants. We are sure that paying spectators and the TV audiences across the world will enjoy watching these athletes perform in the world class facilities created here," Bhanot said.
"But according to CGF policy we can`t reveal the names of the athletes. The total number will be finalised only after Delegation Registration Meeting, which is scheduled to be held here from September 16-October 2," he added.
Hosts India will field the biggest contingent of more than 600 athletes and team officials while Botswana will be the smallest with less than five athletes and officials.
The other countries and territories who are sending big contingents, include Australia (550), England (525), Canada (400), New Zealand (325), Malaysia (325), Scotland (300) and Wales (240). With a 220-strong contingent, South Africa will be the biggest team from Africa continent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read