CWG bronze medalist set to lose state honour for dope taint
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games bronze medalist boxer Dilbag Singh is all set to lose the Haryana government`s sporting award bestowed on him this year due to a dope test he failed in 2011.
Dilbag, a former Commonwealth Championships gold medalist and a multiple-time national champion, flunked the test after clinching a gold in the 2011 Jharkhand National Games.
The welterweight boxer was presented Haryana`s state honour -- the Bhim award -- earlier his year, despite being ineligible for the honour due to his dope taint.
In reply to an RTI query, the State Public Information Officer and Deputy Director Sports of the Haryana Department of Sports and Youth Affairs, S K Goyal, said the process to take back the award from the boxer has been initiated.
"NADA (National Anti-Doping Agency) has informed on 07-02-2014 that a period of one year ineligibility from competing in sports events with effect from 24-02-2011 to 23-02-2012. Matter is under process by the Sports Department for withdrawing his Bhim Award," Goyal stated in the reply.
The enquiry into Dilbag`s credentials was launched after reports of him being dope-tainted appeared on the day he was bestowed the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy