CWG bronze medalist set to lose state honour for dope taint
New Delhi: Commonwealth Games bronze medalist boxer Dilbag Singh is all set to lose the Haryana government`s sporting award bestowed on him this year due to a dope test he failed in 2011.
Dilbag, a former Commonwealth Championships gold medalist and a multiple-time national champion, flunked the test after clinching a gold in the 2011 Jharkhand National Games.
The welterweight boxer was presented Haryana`s state honour -- the Bhim award -- earlier his year, despite being ineligible for the honour due to his dope taint.
In reply to an RTI query, the State Public Information Officer and Deputy Director Sports of the Haryana Department of Sports and Youth Affairs, S K Goyal, said the process to take back the award from the boxer has been initiated.
"NADA (National Anti-Doping Agency) has informed on 07-02-2014 that a period of one year ineligibility from competing in sports events with effect from 24-02-2011 to 23-02-2012. Matter is under process by the Sports Department for withdrawing his Bhim Award," Goyal stated in the reply.
The enquiry into Dilbag`s credentials was launched after reports of him being dope-tainted appeared on the day he was bestowed the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks