CWG OC terminates TS Darbari`s services

Last Updated: Aug 09, 2010, 18:09 PM IST

New Delhi: Acting on the persistent plea of
the Sports Ministry, the Commonwealth Games Organising
Committee on Monday terminated the services of its tainted Joint
Director General T S Darbari in the wake of the corruption
scandal that has rocked the event.

Darbari, who had been suspended pending an inquiry after
his name cropped up in alleged corruption during the Queen`s
Baton Relay`s launch in London, has been told to hand over
charge to Additional Director General VK Saxena.

"The Ministry had written several letters to OC asking
for his ouster because of the cases in Enforcement Directorate
and the last such communication was made on August 6. The
Ministry was not happy that he was merely suspended," a source
told reporters.

The OC has finally acted on the instructions and given
the marching orders to Darbari, who appeared before the
Enforcement Directorate today in a probe over his alleged
customs violations.

He was asked why contract had not been signed with the UK firm in question apart from other details.

"According to an order from the OC, pending an inquiry by
the ED into the case of alleged involvement of Darbari, who is
the Joint Director General (PSUs, sponsorship and marketing),
in the payment of an unreasonable amount to a British firm at
the time of the QBR ceremony in London, his services are
hereby terminated with immediate effect," the source said.

"He will hand over all documents, papers and equipment to
V K Saxena Additional DG (PSUs, Marketing and sponsorship),"
he added.

According to OC chairman Suresh Kalmadi, Darbari oversaw
the QBR preparations in London, which became the focal point
of a corruption storm following revelations that a
little-known UK-based firm A M Films was paid lakhs of pounds
for its "services" during the event.

Later, an e-mail from the Indian High Commission which
Kalmadi made public to justify payments to AM Films also
turned out to be doctored, forcing OC to launch a probe into
the entire episode.

Although the OC probe report is yet to come out, the
Sports Ministry had been demanding Darbari`s removal ever
since his name figured in a customs violation case.

PTI