CWG paper fraud: I’m innocent, says Kalmadi
New Delhi: Indian Olympic Association chief Suresh Kalmadi said that he was innocent in the alleged fraud in the bid documents that enabled him to be the complete in charge of the Commonwealth Games 2010. He said that the papers had been shown to the GoM and other authorities 6-7 years back and it was unanimously decided.
Already caught in corruption scandals, the Commonwealth Games faced another controversy with reports claiming that original bid documents of the Delhi event were allegedly tampered with to help Suresh Kalmadi become chairman of the Organising Committee (OC).
A news channel report while raising questions over the legitimacy of the OC headed by Kalmadi, who is the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President, claimed that the original bid documents submitted to 72 Commonwealth countries in 2003 were allegedly tampered with.
The report said that in the original bid cleared by the Vajpayee government in 2003, the Chairman of the CWG OC was to have been nominated by the government, while the IOA president`s position was to be that of Vice Chairman.
However, in the updated bid copy, terms like `government nominee` and `IOA President` were removed, thus enabling Kalmadi to become the OC Chairman when the Committee was finally set up on February 10, 2005, the report claimed.
The channel said officials concerned were unwilling to throw light on the issues raised in connection with the bid documents.