CWG scam: CBI conducts raids, files FIRs
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has filed four FIRs in the ‘synthetic turf’ scam that took place during the 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.
As many as 20 places in Delhi, Kolkata and Ghaziabad have been raided by the CBI sleuths this morning in connection with this scam.
The scam-hit Commonwealth Games Organising Committee is currently facing 45 legal cases filed by private companies seeking outstanding payment for their CWG-related work.
Officials said that the number of cases against OC, which is under the scanner of investigating agencies for alleged financial irregularities, have risen to 45 from 30 in the last six months.
The cases, filed in various courts here and in Pune, are related to dispute in finance, workforce, catering, merchandising, cleaning and waste management, technology and other functional areas.
The Organising Committee, which conducted the Commonwealth Games between October 3-14, 2010, has digitised its records. It will now to hand-over its charge to Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs.
The government has also started to acquire portions in the swanky nine-storey OC headquarters at 1, Jai Singh Road for some of its departments.
Certain departments of the Prime Minister`s Office, Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of External Affairs among others have been allotted floors in the building and they will start functioning soon, sources said.
Law and enforcement agencies, including CBI, CVC and ED, are probing various financial irregularities in the execution of several CWG contracts allegedly done by OC`s former Chairman Suresh Kalmadi and Secretary General Lalit Bhanot among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore